If you’re considering a relocation to the mile-high state, know that Colorado offers plenty of appealing perks for new residents. Its numerous capital-city suburbs all have their own charm, from parks, events, and a strong community spirit. To help you narrow down your list, here are seven reasons why you should move your family to Thornton.
Thornton Has Terrific Schools
According to Great Schools, there are many respected educational institutions in Thornton. Take a look at high-performing charter schools like Stargate on Washington Street. Mapleton Early College High School on York Street is highly rated if you’re looking for a public school.
Crème de la Crème of Thornton on East 128th Avenue also offers extensive educational enrichment opportunities with day, after-school, and summer camps. Teachers designed these unique programs to give your children a well-rounded learning experience by exposing them to loads of instructional and entertaining activities, like:
- Foreign language classes
- Cooking courses
- STEAM Lab programs
- Art studio sessions
- Coding and robotics classes
It’s Close to Denver
Thornton is a suburb of Denver, Colorado’s capital. You can find it in the northeast part of the city’s metropolitan area, just 10 miles from downtown. So, accessing your neighborhood, the office, and school will be a breeze.
Whether you travel for work or you welcome frequent guests, travel won’t be a concern in Thornton, either. It’s also close to the Denver International Airport on Peña Boulevard. This busy airport serviced 69 million passengers in 2019. Depending on city traffic, you can drive to the terminal in about 35 minutes.
There are Loads of Local Attractions
Thornton has come a long way since its agricultural roots in the 1950s. Today, it sprawls across more than 36 square miles, and 130,000 people call this city home. Its future-facing residents continuously work to develop new and exciting programs to entertain locals and boost tourism, including:
- Cornfield maze: Enjoy a fun day out with the family at this season extravaganza. This festive occasion offers loads of entertaining activities for babies and up. Find your way through the 20-acre maze, ride a pony, then explore the pumpkin field.
- Disc golf course: Springvale Park has a nicely landscaped, 18-hole disc golf course. The front nine are relatively easy for beginners and kiddos like kindergartners, while the back nine is more challenging.
- Todd Creek Golf Club: This 18-hole championship course offers golfers 7,435-yards of rolling terrain, a splendid grassy landscape, and views of Todd Creek and the Rocky Mountains.
- Carpenter Recreation Center: This recreation center is a must-stop for sports enthusiasts. The facility gives Thornton residents access to swimming pools; volleyball, basketball, and racquetball courts; a gymnastic studio; a running track; a hot tub; and saunas.
It Hosts Awesome Annual Events
Thornton locals join together to celebrate three fabulous annual festivals. Each event encourages families to participate in fun for all ages, including:
- Thorntonfest: Organizers host this event each May. It features interactive activities like a battle of the bands, a car show, wall climbing, carnival rides, and a sub-festival for pet lovers.
- Harvestfest: This September event offers families activities like a cultural expedition, bazaar, fishing derby, and a rollerblading, biking, and skateboarding competition.
- Winterfest: Each December, leaders put on this festive holiday classic complete with a miniature Santa’s Village, an ice-skating pond, a Christmas tree decorating contest, live music, a 5K run, and a fireworks show.
There Are Tons of Outdoor Spaces
Thornton is one of the best choices for families because of its extensive park system. With its picturesque backdrop of the majestic Rocky Mountains, over 140 miles of trails, and 2,500-plus acres of parkland, the area provides residents with endless outdoor activities and recreation opportunities.
Thornton is home to 25 large city parks, plus several small open areas. There are dog parks, skate parks, playgrounds, paved walking paths, and more. Each space is open daily from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. Some of these local green spaces include:
- Cherry Park
- North Star Park
- Trail Winds East and West
- Yorkborough Park
- Carpenter Park
- Holly Park
- Homestead Hills Park
- Pecos Park
- Hunters Glen Lake Park
- Woodglen Meadow Park
The City Boasts Positive Projected Job Growth
The future job growth in Thornton, Colorado, is 47.41%. That number is significantly higher than the national average of 33.51%. Jobs have also increased in the city by 2.8% over the past year, and the average annual salary in this suburb is $66,160. This is because employers in these industries are hiring, and they pay some of the area’s highest wages, such as:
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction.
- Professional, scientific, and technical services.
There are Plenty of Places to Shop and Dine
Thornton has excellent neighborhoods close to shopping and food, and the cost of living is much more affordable than in Denver. That’s terrific news for growing families. Thornton Town Center, Thorncreek Crossing, and Denver Premium Outlets deliver every retail experience you could ask for, from back-to-school essentials to the best holiday gifts and everything in between. Shop name brands like Adidas, Calvin Kline, and Guess.
We’re also big fans of good food, and we bet your family is too. Insiders say this suburb’s local culinary scene has something on the menu to please every appetite, no matter what you’re craving. Somewhere in town, a chef is dishing up delicious eats, from sushi to barbeque. There are eateries like Cheddar’s Scratch Kitchen on Grant Street, the Bleu Sage Cafe on East 128th Avenue, and Doug’s Diner on East 134th Avenue — all with rave reviews.
Well, that’s a wrap! The staff at Crème de la Crème of Thornton brought you this list of the top reasons to move to our fair city. If the hectic city lifestyle of Denver isn’t for you, take a look at our neighborhood. What did you think of our picks? What does your family love most about Thornton? Let us know! Drop us a line so we can add your thought to this list.