Ashburn, Virginia is a beautiful area just outside of Washington D.C. Many people enjoying living in proximity to the nation’s capital while enjoying a little more room to spread out than in the city center. Ashburn enjoys all four seasons, which means folks get beautiful, balmy spring days, warm summer sun, and brisk fall mornings, but that does come with rainy autumn days and blustery winter weeks.
Having a good line-up of fun activities for rainy or gray days — especially with kids in tow — can go a long way to enjoying Ashburn and the surrounding area no matter the weather. Check out these eight great things to do on less than ideal weather days.
Louden County Public Library — Ashburn Branch
One of the best places to start on a rainy day is the library — and Ashburn has a fantastic one. The Ashburn branch of the Louden County Public Library has lots of kid-friendly events, including story times for different ages, scavenger hunts, artists-in-residence, maker space workshops, yoga, music, and much more. Take a look at their schedule to see what they’re offering on gloomy days.
- Location: 43316 Hay Road, Ashburn, VA 20147.
- Hours: 9:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday through Saturday, and noon to 5 p.m. Sunday.
Dulles Town Center
A great option for stretching your legs indoors is a trip to the Dulles Town Center, a lovely indoor mall. Enjoy a number of desirable stores like Bath & Body Works, H&M, Kay Jewelers, and Sephora. There are also a number of delicious restaurants, a food court, and a movie theater. Kids especially will love the ride-on train that travels throughout the lower level of the mall and the carousel.
- Location: 21100 Dulles Town Center, Dulles, VA 20166.
- Hours: 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Wednesday, closed Thursday, 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Saturday, and 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Sunday.
National Air and Space Museum — Stephen F. Udvar-Hazy Center
About 20 minutes south of Ashburn you’ll find the National Air and Space Museum — Stephen F. Udvar-Hazy Center. This extension of the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum offers an impressive and large exhibition hall spread across two airplane hangars with thousands of air and space related exhibits, including a Concorde aircraft and the Space Shuttle Discovery. Best of all, admission is free for all visitors.
- Location: 14390 Air and Space Museum Parkway, Chantilly, VA 20151.
- Hours: 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. daily.
Escape Room Ashburn
Another great rainy day activity is Escape Room Ashburn. In an escape room, visitors must find and solve clues to figure out how to get out of their chosen scenario. Escape Room Ashburn offers a few different experiences to choose from, like Sherlock Holmes, Jail Break, and Bank Heist. They vary in difficulty and do periodically rotate.
- Location: 42882 Truro Parish Drive, Suite 205, Ashburn, VA 20148.
- Hours: 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday, 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. Friday, noon to 10 p.m. Saturday, and noon to 7 p.m. Sunday.
The Zone, located in Ashburn, is a fun-filled entertainment center with an activity for everyone. You can choose from virtual reality, bowling, laser tag, or an arcade. There are also several dining options inside, including a classic sports bar, an outdoor patio, and food service to your bowling lane. The Zone offers summer camps for the kids when school’s out and has space for private events and birthday parties.
- Location: 43811 Central Station Drive, Suite 100, Ashburn, VA 20147.
- Hours: 4 p.m. to 10 p.m Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
Inside Ski Training Center
For ski enthusiasts, rainy summer days or warm winter ones don’t have to stop you from hitting the slopes. The Inside Ski Training Center, located inside the Pro-Fit Ski & Mountain Sports in the Virginia Village Shopping Center in Leesburg provides a unique opportunity to practice your skiing or snowboarding indoors no matter the weather. They also provide ski equipment as part of your experience.
- Location: 34-B Catoctin Circle, SE, Leesburg, VA 20175.
- Hours: 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday, and noon to 5 p.m. Sunday.
Kids Plaza Indoor Playground
Kids Plaza Indoor Playground, conveniently located in Ashburn, has a multitude of activities to keep your kiddos entertained on gray days. The expansive indoor playground includes a huge three-level play structure with slides, obstacles, and other fun, interactive features. There are also multiple inflatables and a special area for the youngest visitors to keep them out of the big kids play. They offer an after-school program and a pre-school program besides open play.
- Location: 21670 Red Rum Drive, Suite 102, Ashburn, VA 20147.
- Hours: 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday through Sunday.
Fleetwood Farm Winery
If you’re looking for something fun to do on a gray rainy day without your kids in tow, consider the Fleetwood Farm Winery. Besides wine flights and wine tastings, you can enjoy delicious food from the in-house kitchen. The winery offers dining room and patio seating with a fire pit, so you can sit outside even in dreary weather. Enjoy a variety of events like live music and yoga or rent the space for a private event or wedding.
- Location: 23075 Evergreen Mills Road, Leesburg, VA 20175.
- Hours: Noon to 6 p.m. Thursday through Sunday.
There are a plethora of great indoor activities in and around Ashburn to keep you and your littles entertained no matter their age or the weather outside. What’s your favorite spot to visit on our list? Let us know in the comments below, and be sure to note any other great rainy day spots you and your family love. We here at Crème de la Crème of Port Potomac, VA wish you nothing but sunny days ahead.