It’s no secret that a heavily plant-based diet is good for your overall health and good for the environment. With more people exploring vegetarian and vegan diets, restaurants specializing in plant-based meals are becoming more common in all areas of the country, including Illinois. Check out these eight great vegan, vegetarian, or veggie friendly restaurants in the greater South Barrington area to broaden your plant-based culinary explorations.
The Eating Well
A quick 10-mile drive from South Barrington, vegan food lovers can enjoy cuisine from The Eating Well in the town of Schaumburg. This eatery, which provides delivery and carry-out service, offers a nutritious menu with dishes like the cruciferous crunch veggie burger, yellow split pea soup with tofu sausage, and vegan spinach lasagna. Many of their dishes are also gluten and dairy free to accommodate all diners. If you have a sweet tooth, they also have a number of tasty treats on their dessert menu.
- Location: 951 W. Wise Road, Schaumburg, IL 60193.
- Hours: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday.
Head into Chicago to sample the delicious vegan fare available at Healthy Substance. Serving Mexican cuisine, all the menu offerings are entirely vegan, crafted by chef Patricia Gonzalez. Try a selection of gluten-free tamales or veggie heavy gorditas. The menu also includes nutrient packed smoothies to add to your meal or have on their own. Healthy Substance offers online ordering for pickup and dine-in service. Be sure to try one of their fresh squeezed juices or daily blend of fruit waters whether you dine in or order out.
- Location: 6852 W. Archer Ave. Chicago, IL 60638.
- Hours: 11:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday, 11:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and 11:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. Friday through Saturday.
Alice and Friends’ Vegan Kitchen
Another fully vegan option, Alice and Friends’ Vegan Kitchen is located in downtown Chicago, a few blocks from the lake shore. This Michelin Guide recommended restaurant offers a range of menu options, many with an Asian flair. A few delectable entrees to consider on your next visit include dol sot bi bim bap, Burmese noodle salad, and royal pho. You can enjoy takeout, delivery, or dine-in service. This top-rated eatery also serves a number of delicious smoothies and desserts.
- Location: 5812 N. Broadway, Chicago, IL 60660.
- Hours: 4 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Monday and Wednesday through Friday and noon to 9:30 p.m. Saturday through Sunday.
Mago Grill and Cantina
While not a vegan restaurant, South Barrington Mexican joint Mago Grill and Cantina has a highly vegetarian-friendly menu, with most items available meatless. You can order a la carte, with each diner ordering their own entree, or family style, with a few different combinations that include appetizers, entrees, sides, and desserts. Besides delicious mains like chile relleno, fajitas, and burritos, you can also order a variety of tasty and flavorful margaritas. Enjoy your meal in the dining room or to go.
- Location: 100 Higgins Road, South Barrington, IL 60010.
- Hours: 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. Saturday, and 10 a.m. to 9 p.m Sunday.
Pita Pita is a local Chicago area franchise, with a location in Hoffman Estates, a quick 10-minute drive from South Barrington. While not a strictly vegan or vegetarian restaurant, this Mediterranean eatery features a number of veggie-friendly options on the menu. Try the stuffed grape leaves, Jerusalem salad, or falafel plate on your next visit. You can dine in, get takeout, or have your food delivered.
- Location: 4613 W. Higgins Road, Hoffman Estates, IL 60192.
- Hours: 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Friday through Saturday.
If you’re in the mood for Thai food that caters to vegetarians, look no further than Jaded Thai, conveniently located 10 minutes down the road from South Barrington in Hoffman Estates. They offer a special lunch menu and an extensive dinner menu with a variety of options. For vegetarians, consider trying tom kha vegetable and tofu soup or panang crispy noodles with vegetables. Vegans also have some delicious options, like the tofu salad or the cucumber salad. Jaded Thai offers dine-in and takeout service.
- Location: 1608 W. Algonquin Road, Hoffman Estates, IL 60192.
- Hours: 11:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 11:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. Friday, and noon to 9 p.m. Sunday.
Annapurna Simply Vegetarian
Another excellent Hoffman Estates eatery, Annapurna Simply Vegetarian provides a fully vegetarian menu to its guests. This Indian restaurant has a broad menu including delicious items like chana masala, aloo gobi, and paneer masala dosa. Annapurna Simply Vegetarian also offers a number of vegan options, marked on the menu to help diners identify them, like bhindi masala, rajmah, and bhel puri. You can dine in, get takeout, or order delivery.
- Location: 721 W. Golf Road, Hoffman Estates, IL 60169.
- Hours: 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. Friday through Saturday.
Southern Belle’s Pancake House
For the breakfast lovers out there, a trip to Southern Belle’s Pancake House will fill you up with veggie-friendly goodness. This small chain has several locations outside of Chicago, with one in downtown Barrington. Try the spinach and feta omelet, garden skillet, or caramel banana pancakes on your next visit. You can dine in or get takeout.
- Location: 210 S. Cook St., Barrington, IL 60010.
- Hours: 6 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily.
Folks in the South Barrington area have a fantastic list of vegan and vegetarian restaurants to try out, including a range of cuisines like Mexican, Thai, and Indian. More veggie-friendly restaurants open all the time, so let us know here at Crème de la Crème of South Barrington in the comments as new restaurants open or if we left any current favorites off. Happy eating!